The CEU Council participants adopted the following General Agreement on Mixed Use prepared as part of a conference run by the Ax:son Johnson Foundation.
Successful mixed use:
- supports social inclusion regardless of age, wealth, health, gender and ethnicity
- catalyzes public life by attracting people to the same place for a variety of reasons
- supports understanding of the world by making visible its variety of activities
- enables the formation of local communities while providing a platform for conflict resolution
- increases health and well-being as a result of walking an cycling
- makes the public and private realms safer through the presence of people
- encourages different scales of economic activity including home occupations
- achieves a market rate of return while accepting a normal risk on investment
- improves the balance between production and consumption
- sustains efficient use of land, infrastructure and buildings over time
- minimizes dependence on private motor vehicles, supports use of public transport and encourages walking and cycling
- stimulates pedestrian activity by providing convenient access to daily needs and meaningful destinations
- corresponds to the scale and character of its urban context.